Last summer I went back home to Omaha to help my mom clean out some of my dad’s things after he passed away. In his shop downstairs, he had two TEAC open-reel decks, a 4-track and a 2-track. I decided I’d ship one back to California, and picked the 2-track, with the 10.5″ NAB studio reels.
The deck was in good condition, except the belt was broken and one of the VU meter lamps was burned out. The VU meters were a major pain to remove. The wires were very short, and I had to desolder them while they were inside the deck.
Even though only one meter was burned out, I had to replace both lamps since I couldn’t find a frosted bulb that matched the original.
After replacing the VU Meters, the capstan and reel motors needed to be lubricated. Luckily, the motors have convenient tubes that lead directly to where the oil needs to go. They drank a lot of oil… I presume the wadding inside is pretty deteriorated at this point and most of it is sitting at the bottom of the motor.
After a good cleaning, I put it all back together and it works great! There is still a company that makes the tape, which can be purchased here.